Although many medical centers treat cancer patients, only a few possess the highly specialized expertise to diagnose and treat uncommon and complex types of cancers. Optum selects clinically proven cancer centers to help us provide exceptional health care for patients with complex cancers.
More than 75% of the U.S. population is within 250 miles of an Optum CRS cancer center.
See a map and listing of the providers currently in our Cancer Centers of Excellence Network.
CRS identifies and evaluates cancer programs throughout the U.S. Only those cancer programs that have met our strict evaluation criteria are considered for inclusion in the Cancer Centers of Excellence network. Our criteria, developed by the Optum Clinical Sciences Institute, include:
- Multidisciplinary approach to health care
- Program depth and breadth
- Best practice medicine
- Patient and family-oriented programs and services
- High patient volume and surgical volume
- Treatment planning and coordination
- Positive working relationships with referring physicians and payers
- Exceptional clinical research
- Patient satisfaction survey results
Network programs are reevaluated each year to assure they continue to meet the standards for which they were originally selected.